Monday 18 November 2013

Recipe of the Day (part 2)- Turkey Chilli and Lime Margarita (on the Rocks)

Now who doesn't love a great chilli???

Now I love cooking chilli because of the different layers of spices and that you can make it has mild or spicy as you like it. Plus it reminds me of the time that I used to spend down in Mexico,  I know that chilli isn't one of their major dishes that they make down there. But hey... this is the closest that I can get to a good Mexican dish without setting the kitchen on fire or screwing the dish up somewhere along the cooking process.

Now a few years ago, I wanted to make chilli for the first time and so I searched and found one. Now after following the recipe to the T, I decided to play with it until I made it my own.... so another year went by and I finally perfected my own version of the recipe that I first found.

Now don't get me wrong I love the beef chilli like everyone else does but both my husband and I are not huge meat eaters. So this version of my chilli recipe does us justice, and since I do all of the cooking, I sometimes prefer the turkey.

This recipe is also a great hit for when I am doing a Mexican theme dinner party and is one of many dishes that I cook (which I find on the web).

Normally chillies are a side dish.... but go ahead make it the main star attraction and serve it with some corn tortillas and a nice glass of Lime Margarita (on the rocks)



Chilli con Carne- Ground Turkey version
 
Ingredients 

1 1/2lbs ground turkey
1 16oz can diced tomatoes
1 6oz can tomato paste 
1 16oz can red kidney beans
1 cup diced onion
1 cup chopped carrots 
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup mushrooms
2tablespoons sugar
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon marjoram
1 1/2 teaspoons chilli powder
2 dried chilies (optional)
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
Dash pepper

In a large pot cook the ground turkey until it's cooked. Add the vegetables and cook for bout 5 mins. And the seasoning and cook for another 5 mins. Then add the diced tomatoes and tomato paste and cook until it starts to boil then add the red kidney beans. Turn down the heat to low and cook for 1 1/2 hours.

*** You can adjust the spice level of the recipe depending on how hot you like it

Serve with diced avocados and shredded cheese



Classic Tequila Margarita
  • 1 1/2 ounces tequila
  • 1/2 ounce triple sec (Cointreau is recommended)
  • 1 ounce fresh lime juice
  • Lime wedge for garnish
  • Salt or sugar to rim the glass (optional)

Preparation:

  1. Pour the ingredients into a cocktail shaker with ice cubes.
  2. Shake well.
  3. If desired, salt the rim of a chilled margarita glass.
  4. Pour contents, with ice, into the glass.
  5. Garnish with the lime wedge

Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment